Friend Peace and Justice Online on Facebook
Follow Peace and Justice Online on Twitter
- Peace and Planet Mobilization
- Nonviolence, Peace, and War- In the Words and Voices of Martin Luther King, Dave Dellinger, Dorothy Day, and Others
- Memorial Day Is A Time To Mourn the Dead … Let’s Not Glorify War
- Reverend Billy Asks, “What Would Jesus Buy?”
- Peace and Justice Online Website Highlights Its Top Five Posts
- Romney Has A Koch Problem; Let’s Reclaim Our Democracy- Let’s Overturn Citizens United
- Let’s Eradicate Poverty in America, with Commentary by Michael Moore, Cornel West, Barbara Lee
- My Day with Occupy Wall Street; and Naomi Klein, Chris Hedges, Bernie Sanders on OWS
- Ten Years of War in Afghanistan
- Nuclear Power: Dangerous, Dirty & Expensive- 20 Key Facts
- Ellsberg, Swanson, Nader & Benjamin- On Iraq, Afghanistan, Manning & Wisconsin
- Stop Big Oil. Strengthen Our Democracy. End the Wars. Create Jobs. Save the Planet.
- Wisconsin Would Be The First Domino – We Are All Wisconsinites
- Barbara Lee & Bernie Sanders: War in Afghanistan & War on the Middle Class
- Tom Hayden on “The Long War;” Sign up for Tom’s Free Online School of Activism
- End the Wars! Move the Money! And A Video: Mike Zweig on Democracy Now
- Military Recruitment in Our Schools- Students’ Rights and an NYCLU Guide
- Conversations with Afghan Youth Peace Volunteers- With Inspiring Audio
- Afghans for Peace Releases Video
- Kathy Kelly Urges, “A New Year’s Call for Peace”
- United for Peace and Justice Issues Weekly Afghanistan War Reports; Nation Interviews Matthew Hoh
- New START Treaty Ratified- Good News! But Let’s Beware the Military-Industrial Complex; Eisenhower Warned Us
- Did Paul Krugman Predict the Extension of the Bush Tax Cuts, 10 years Ago?
- Veterans for Peace Demonstrate at White House- 131 Arrested
- Peace Action NYS’s Cheryl Wertz on Korea, Guantanamo, Afghanistan, and the New START Treaty
- War Resisters League’s Frida Berrigan Receives Kairos Award
- War Resisters League Urges, “Don’t Buy War Toys.”
- American Friends Service Committee Issues Report Card on the War in Afghanistan
- Honduras: The Reforms, the Coup, and the Aftermath- Speech by Nectali Rodezno Izaguirre
- Thousands Demonstrate at Fort Benning; Call for Closing School of the Americas; 26 Arrested
- The Tillman Story: The Mystery and the Cover-Up
- Code Pink Holds Contest Protesting President Bush’s Book
- Republicans Vow to Repeal Health Care Reform
- Radioactive Waste? No Thanks!
- It’s Veterans Day. Let’s Support the Troops, Not the Wars.
Check Out All the Posts on Peace and Justice Online
- All Peace and Justice Online Posts (36)
- Culture (9)
- Economy, Taxes, Health Care (14)
- Energy and Environment (10)
- Human Rights and Civil Rights (10)
- Peace and War (27)
War Resisters League Urges, “Don’t Buy War Toys.”
This entry was posted in All Peace and Justice Online Posts, Culture, Peace and War and tagged activism, antiwar, Christmas, commentary, current events, gifts, peace, war resisters league, war toys, wrl. Bookmark the permalink.
Pingback: War Resisters League Urges, “Don’t Buy War Toys.” (via Peace and Justice Online) « OntheWilderSide
Right on WRL, and thanks P&J On-Line for sharing this.
I will only add that, while most people probably realize this, and WRL alludes to it, it’s still important to remind folks that “war toys” these days are largely video/computer games.
When we hear “war toys,” many of us probably think mostly of toy soldiers, toy guns, swords and model planes, tanks, etc. These days, however, the real military does lots of its fighting in high tech, robotic and drone fashion, and kids are learning skills playing video games that directly transfer into “combat” capabilities in the electronic battlefield.
They also learn to succeed by “killing” an adversary. This, along with the dehumanization of the “enemy” allows people to function in wars, something we sorely need to grow beyond.
Thanks so much, Mark, for the comments. Your thoughts are always insightful and appreciated.
Readers, my good friend Mark Haim is the Director of Mid-Missouri Peaceworks, one of the most active peace and justice organizations in the Midwest.