Friend Peace and Justice Online on Facebook
Follow Peace and Justice Online on Twitter
- Peace and Planet Mobilization
- Nonviolence, Peace, and War- In the Words and Voices of Martin Luther King, Dave Dellinger, Dorothy Day, and Others
- Memorial Day Is A Time To Mourn the Dead … Let’s Not Glorify War
- Reverend Billy Asks, “What Would Jesus Buy?”
- Peace and Justice Online Website Highlights Its Top Five Posts
- Romney Has A Koch Problem; Let’s Reclaim Our Democracy- Let’s Overturn Citizens United
- Let’s Eradicate Poverty in America, with Commentary by Michael Moore, Cornel West, Barbara Lee
- My Day with Occupy Wall Street; and Naomi Klein, Chris Hedges, Bernie Sanders on OWS
- Ten Years of War in Afghanistan
- Nuclear Power: Dangerous, Dirty & Expensive- 20 Key Facts
- Ellsberg, Swanson, Nader & Benjamin- On Iraq, Afghanistan, Manning & Wisconsin
- Stop Big Oil. Strengthen Our Democracy. End the Wars. Create Jobs. Save the Planet.
- Wisconsin Would Be The First Domino – We Are All Wisconsinites
- Barbara Lee & Bernie Sanders: War in Afghanistan & War on the Middle Class
- Tom Hayden on “The Long War;” Sign up for Tom’s Free Online School of Activism
- End the Wars! Move the Money! And A Video: Mike Zweig on Democracy Now
- Military Recruitment in Our Schools- Students’ Rights and an NYCLU Guide
- Conversations with Afghan Youth Peace Volunteers- With Inspiring Audio
- Afghans for Peace Releases Video
- Kathy Kelly Urges, “A New Year’s Call for Peace”
- United for Peace and Justice Issues Weekly Afghanistan War Reports; Nation Interviews Matthew Hoh
- New START Treaty Ratified- Good News! But Let’s Beware the Military-Industrial Complex; Eisenhower Warned Us
- Did Paul Krugman Predict the Extension of the Bush Tax Cuts, 10 years Ago?
- Veterans for Peace Demonstrate at White House- 131 Arrested
- Peace Action NYS’s Cheryl Wertz on Korea, Guantanamo, Afghanistan, and the New START Treaty
- War Resisters League’s Frida Berrigan Receives Kairos Award
- War Resisters League Urges, “Don’t Buy War Toys.”
- American Friends Service Committee Issues Report Card on the War in Afghanistan
- Honduras: The Reforms, the Coup, and the Aftermath- Speech by Nectali Rodezno Izaguirre
- Thousands Demonstrate at Fort Benning; Call for Closing School of the Americas; 26 Arrested
- The Tillman Story: The Mystery and the Cover-Up
- Code Pink Holds Contest Protesting President Bush’s Book
- Republicans Vow to Repeal Health Care Reform
- Radioactive Waste? No Thanks!
- It’s Veterans Day. Let’s Support the Troops, Not the Wars.
Check Out All the Posts on Peace and Justice Online
- All Peace and Justice Online Posts (36)
- Culture (9)
- Economy, Taxes, Health Care (14)
- Energy and Environment (10)
- Human Rights and Civil Rights (10)
- Peace and War (27)
American Friends Service Committee Issues Report Card on the War in Afghanistan
The American Friends Service Committee has recently issued a “Report Card on Performance and Progress for the U.S. War in Afghanistan.” As with all report cards, to be meaningful, this report card must offer comments that provide details of how things are going. It must offer practical suggestions for improvement, when improvement is necessary. The AFSC report card does an excellent job, in my opinion, of providing important details and of offering sensible, practical recommendations for improvement.
For example, here is one of the details that the report card indicates. “US military continues to spend close to $100 million a day in Afghanistan, while the average spent by all donors on non-military aid is just $7 million per day.”
Here is an example of one of the recommendations offered in the report card. “Address the real needs of Afghans, which include economic development, education and clean water.”
To read the full report card, including all comments and recommendations, click here.
For more information about the American Friends Service Committee, a link to its website, and links to resources the AFSC offers, please see the American Friends Service Committee entry in the Peace and Justice Online Directory of Resources.